Any letters or packages sent to a particular address, regardless of who the recipient is, are put on hold by the United States Postal Service (USPS). To make sure your mail doesn’t get misplaced while you’re away on vacation or business, sign up for this free service.
You may still need to cancel a USPS mail hold, however. When it comes to canceling USPS mail hold, this article will walk you through the process step-by-step.
In 2022, how to remove a USPS hold on your mail
For customers of the United States Postal Service (USPS), it will be possible to cancel mail hold cancellations online, by phone, or at their local post office beginning in 2019. The confirmation number you received when you requested mail hold can be used to cancel online or by phone. You can’t cancel online or through USPS without a confirmation number.
Make sure to read the rest of my research if you want to know exactly how to cancel your mail hold request.
What Is a USPS Hold on a Package?
Remember what a mail hold is and why you might need one before getting into the specifics of how to cancel one.
A USPS mail hold instructs your local post office to halt mail delivery while you’re away or only need to suspend mail delivery for a few days.
So, it’s a great way to avoid a clogged mailbox or missing a crucial package delivery when you get home.
Additionally, mail holds apply to all correspondence sent to a particular address, regardless of who the correspondence is addressed to or who placed the hold.
The United States Postal Service (USPS) will hold all of your mail, including letters, packages, and periodicals, until the date you specify.
All of your held mail will be delivered to your home or you can pick it up at the post office after the end date of the service.
Is It Possible To Release A USPS Mail Hold?
Cancelling a USPS mail hold is absolutely possible.
Due to the USPS’s commitment to providing you with high-quality mail services, you have the option of changing or canceling your service at any time.
USPS mail holds may be cancelled online, over the phone or in person at your local post office using this method.
Do you know how to get rid of a USPS hold?
Use the confirmation number you received when you first placed a hold on your mail to cancel it.
If you requested a mail hold online or called the Customer Care Center to set one up, you should have received an email with this number.
So, here are the steps you need to take in order to cancel your mail hold request online:
- Visit the US Postal Service’s Hold Mail page for more information.
- Please click on the “Edit/Cancel Your Hold Mail Request” option located to your right to modify or cancel your hold mail request.
- The pop-up menu will ask for your phone number or email address, as well as a confirmation number.
- After you’ve entered your information, cancel the hold on your mail.
- Continue by clicking the “Continue” button at the bottom of the page.
- Click “Verify Your Cancellation” if you’ve checked all of the details of your request.
- Take a look at the page titled “Cancellation Confirmation”
The USPS Customer Care Center can also be contacted at 1-800-ASK-USPS to cancel a mail hold request (1-800-275-8777).
On this line, agents are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday and from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.
To complete your request, they’ll need your name, address, and phone number, as well as your confirmation number.
Is It Possible to Remove a USPS Hold on My Mail Without a Confirmation Code?
In order to make changes online, you must have a confirmation number.
Additionally, a USPS Customer Care Center representative will not be able to cancel your request without the confirmation number.
They can only extend a mail hold request if they have this number.
The clerk at your local post office can cancel your request if you can’t locate your confirmation number.
In addition, the following forms of identification are accepted:
- A federally or state-recognized tribal identification card (tribal identification card)
- S. certificate of naturalization or citizenship
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services (Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- A government-issued identification card.
- Card of the United States Armed Forces
- Driver’s license without a license plate
- Driver’s licenses issued by the state
- Consular Initiation Exam (Mexico)
- NEXUS (pronounced “nexus”) (Canada)
- “Corporate Branding”
- S. University’s Identifier
You can also cancel your request if you are still on vacation or out of town and cannot visit your local post office.
See also our posts on USPS proof of delivery, USPS hold mail end date and USPS certified mail for more information on USPS services.
Customers of the United States Postal Service (USPS) can place and cancel mail holds online, over the phone, or in person at a post office near them.
To cancel a hold on mail, you only need your email or phone number and the confirmation code from your initial hold request.
For whatever reason, canceling a mail hold is a simple and painless process. If you still have any questions, I hope this article has answered them.