For many Americans, the cost of owning a home continues to rise. Moving to one of these 15 areas, on the other hand, may allow you to find more inexpensive accommodation. Because you spend so much time at home, it’s critical that you feel at ease. But if you live in a region where house prices are rising, you may not be able to find a home that suits your needs and budget.
Where Can You Buy A House For 100k? A more affordable housing market can appeal to you if you’re in the market for a home and have the option of moving. Many American towns still offer three-bedroom homes for less than $100,000, which may come as a shock to some.
First-time or second-time homebuyers might benefit from lowering the cost of a new residence. Check out our home-buying advice after you’ve looked through our list of the best places to purchase a house on a budget. They can save you time and money while guiding you through the home-buying process.
Birmingham Of Alabama
- For under $100,000, there were 249 listings for three-bedroom houses in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Example: A 1,106-square-foot home with four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Located in central Alabama, Birmingham is a little over two hours from Atlanta, Georgia. Alabama’s largest city is now (as of January 30, 2021) Birmingham, with Huntsville and Montgomery in close second and third place.
Birmingham’s cuisine and music cultures, as well as its role in the Civil Rights Movement, make it a popular tourist destination. Hiking, motorcycling, and taking in the views are just a few of the local favorites. There are around 209,000 people living in Birmingham.
Little Rock, Arkansas
- In Little Rock, Arkansas, there were 73 listings for houses with three or more bedrooms for under $100,000. Example: 1,174 square feet – three bedrooms – two bathrooms
Arkansas’s capital sits almost exactly in the center of the state, besides the Arkansas River. This central Arkansas location gives convenient access to a variety of outdoor activities, such as riding and hiking.
Visit one of Little Rock’s various areas, such as SoMa and the River Market District, for some urban exploring. While visiting the area and its associated establishments, you are permitted to consume alcoholic drinks in these neighborhoods. Little Rock has a population of around 197,000 people.
- In Augusta, Georgia, there were 43 postings for houses with three or more bedrooms for less than $100,000. Example: 1,176 square feet – three bedrooms – one bathroom
Augusta is a city in eastern Georgia between the Savannah River and the border with South Carolina. It is famous for being the home of the Augusta National Golf Club, which hosts the annual Master’s Tournament for professional golfers. Because the Augusta region offers pleasant weather all year, activities such as walking along the Augusta Riverwalk and exploring the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area are suggested. Augusta has a population of around 198,000 people.
Rock Island / Davenport, Illinois / Davenport, Iowa
- In Rock Island, Illinois, and Davenport, Iowa, there were 96 listings for houses with three or more bedrooms for less than $100,000. Example: A 0.13-acre property with three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Located across the Mississippi River from each other, Rock Island and Davenport are part of the Iowa and Illinois boundary. These two cities in the Midwest make up half of the so-called “Quad Cities” group.
Events, bicycling, strolling, or simply enjoying the view from a rooftop bar are all encouraged along the riverfront in the Quad Cities region. Boating, kayaking, disc golf, and hiking are just a few of the many outdoor pursuits available in the region. The population of Rock Island, Illinois, is around 37,000 people. About 102,000 people call Davenport home.
City of Evansville
- In Evansville, Indiana, there were 64 listings for houses under $100,000 that had three or more bedrooms. Example: 1,440 square feet, three bedrooms, one bathroom.
Located on the Kentucky and Illinois borders, Evansville is a city in southwest Indiana. It’s near the Hoosier and Shawnee National Forests and the Ohio River.
Multiple museums, sports fields, shopping malls, and more can be found in Evansville. Evansville is well located for day trips to St. Louis, Louisville, and Nashville, all of which are close. There are around 118,000 people in Evansville.
- In Independence, Kansas, there were 36 listings for houses with three or more bedrooms that cost less than $100,000. Example: 1,710 square feet, three bedrooms, two bathrooms.
Independence, Kansas (not to be confused with Independence, Missouri) is a tiny town on the Oklahoma border in southeast Kansas. Wichita, Kansas, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, which are both less than two hours distant by car, are the closest large cities.
For a more authentic taste of a tiny Midwestern community like Independence, head to Elk City State Park or Montgomery County State Park, both of which are well-known attractions.
There are around 8,500 people living in Independence.
- 77 properties with three or more bedrooms were on the market in Jackson, Mississippi, all of which were under $100,000. Example: Three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and 1,870 square feet of living space
A three-hour journey north of New Orleans, Louisiana, is the location of Mississippi’s capital city. Jackson, the “City With Soul,” is a cultural mecca in the heart of the Deep South. The Mississippi Civil Rights Museum and the Fondren District, a local hotspot for dining, shopping, and entertainment, are two of the most well-known attractions in the area. Approximately 160,000 people call Jackson home.
Cut Bank, Montana
- For under $100,000 in Cut Bank, Montana, there were seven listings for three-bedroom or more properties. Example: 2,632 square feet, four bedrooms, two bathrooms.
Consider a tiny town like Cut Bank, Montana, if you want to get away from the commotion of big cities. The Blackfeet Indian Reservation and Glacier National Park are both within a one-hour drive of this city. In addition, it’s only a 40-minute drive to the Canadian border.
There are a few supermarkets and eateries in the neighborhood, despite its remoteness. There is a lot to be said for spending time in nature and visiting Big Sky Country in Montana, though. The town of Cut Bank has a total population of around 3,000.
Binghamton, New York
- In Binghamton, New York, there were 41 listings for houses with three or more bedrooms that cost less than $100,000. Example: A 1,872 square foot home with five bedrooms and two bathrooms.
Susquehanna and Chenango rivers flow through Binghamton, a New York city located north of the Pennsylvania border. It’s also only about an hour and a half away from Syracuse, which puts it in close proximity to the Finger Lakes region’s many outdoor attractions. Spiedies (pronounced speedies) is a specialty of Binghamton’s cuisine, which consists of marinated and grilled beef skewers served on a long roll. About 44,000 people call Binghamton home.
Syracuse, New York
- Syracuse, New York, has 84 houses with three or more bedrooms on the market for less than $100,000. Example: 1,918 square feet, three bedrooms, one bathroom.
Syracuse is located on the shores of Onondaga Lake in upstate New York. One of the country’s snowiest towns and the home of Syracuse University, Syracuse is a tourist destination in its own right. Activities in the Finger Lakes region of New York State include hiking at Chittenango Falls State Park, skiing at Labrador Mountain, and kayaking on the lakes. About 142,000 people live in Syracuse.
- In Cleveland, Ohio, there were 459 postings for three-bedroom houses under $100,000. Example: Three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and 2,012 square feet of space
In addition to being one of the state’s most populous cities, Cleveland is also one of the largest in the nation. The Cleveland Metroparks system’s more than 24,000 acres of parks and open space provide spectacular vistas of Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River. There are several professional sports franchises based in the city, including the Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Indians, and Cleveland Browns. About 381,000 people call Cleveland home.
- In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, there were 101 listings for houses under $100,000 that had three or more bedrooms. Example: A 1,800-square-foot home with three bedrooms and one bathroom.
About a three-hour trip from Binghamton, New York, you’ll find yourself in Harrisburg, PA. There are several similarities between this city and Binghamton in terms of location.
There are a number of vineyards, wineries, breweries, and distilleries within a short distance.
The Boyd Big Tree Preserve and Swatara Creek offer excellent opportunities for hiking and kayaking, respectively. Hersheypark, a family-friendly amusement park about a 25-minute drive from downtown Harrisburg, might be another fun option. About 49,000 people call Harrisburg home.
Wichita Falls, Texas
- In Wichita Falls, Texas, there were 35 houses for sale under $100,000 that had three or more bedrooms. Example: This 2,048 square foot home has four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
In the northern part of the state of Texas, Wichita Falls is roughly a two-hour drive from either Dallas or Oklahoma City. It’s a big enough city to meet your daily needs for shopping and dining, plus it has a lot of green space. Both Lake Wichita, and Lake Arrowhead State Park, are within driving distance. Approximately 105,000 people call Wichita Falls home.
Beckley, West Virginia
- Homes with three or more bedrooms that cost less than $100,000 were available in Beckley, West Virginia. Example: 2,465 square feet, four bedrooms, three bathrooms.
There is a West Virginia University Institute of Technology in Beckley, which is a town in southern West Virginia. The Appalachian Trail, the New River Gorge, and the Winterplace Ski Resort are all nearby. Visitors may take a tour of the Exhibition Coal Mine in the former coal-mining town, which is now West Virginia’s eighth biggest city. Washington, D.C., Charlotte, N.C., and Columbus, OH are all within a five-hour journey. There are around 16,000 people living in Beckley.
- In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, there were 181 postings for houses with three or more bedrooms for less than $100,000. Example: 1,527 square feet, four bedrooms, one bathroom.
Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is one of Wisconsin’s most populous cities. In addition to the Milwaukee Bucks and Milwaukee Brewers, it is also home to Marquette University, one of the nation’s most prestigious colleges and universities. In addition to seeing the various breweries and Lake Michigan beaches, visitors may also take a stroll along the Milwaukee RiverWalk. There are around 590,000 people living in Milwaukee.
Buying a House Tips
If you locate a house that you like and decide to buy it, here are some helpful tips:
- Make a budget and stick to it. When it comes to buying a house, building up the money to do so might take a long time. Set up your savings strategy immediately if you plan on purchasing a property in the near future. Consider a variety of budgeting methods before deciding which one is best for you. In order to receive a loan, you’ll likely need to come up with a down payment of some kind.
- Make a separate savings account for the purchase of your home. When saving for a house, many people put money away in a savings account. Savings for a down payment on a house should not be combined with other types of savings, such as those for a car, schooling, or an emergency fund. Instead, start a separate savings account for your home. This will let you focus on saving for a house instead of juggling other priorities.
- If you have any queries, don’t be scared to ask your lender. Don’t be scared to ask questions of your mortgage lender. They are there to assist you in the home-buying process. Credit checks, pre-approval loans, and other forms of mortgages are all common topics of discussion among those seeking information on the subject of obtaining a mortgage. Ask if you’re unsure of something. Educating yourself can help you save money and stay clear of costly blunders.
- Even if you don’t need it, consider purchasing title insurance. If you acquire a house and later have problems with claims against it, title insurance might assist protect you. Title problems are rare, but a prior owner’s unpaid property taxes or a claim on the title may exist that you are unaware of. Title insurance can shield you against the loss of the substantial cash you’ve put into the purchase of the house. To acquire a standard mortgage, you’ll almost certainly need this. Alternative finance, on the other hand, may be an option worth exploring.
Buying a property at a reasonable price in any part of the country is possible if you are willing to move. Unexpectedly, not all of them are in remote regions with no access to basic services. There are a plethora of interesting cities and regions to pick from. But what’s the most exciting part? To get a head start on saving for a house, all you have to do is change your location.