Among the consumer credit cards offered by Southwest, this one stands out for its rewards program. You’re not alone if you’re a fan of Southwest Airlines. In fact, a Morning Consult poll indicated that Southwest Airlines is the most popular in the US. As one of the most cost-effective ways to travel, it’s simple to see why so many people choose to fly.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, one of the finest airline credit cards, will help you stretch your money further. It is possible to earn prizes and gain access to perks that will enhance your holiday experience. Find out about the features and benefits of the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus card in this review.
Who is a good candidate for a Rapid Rewards Plus Card from Southwest Airlines?
The Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card is designed for those who often use the discount carrier. With a few flights a year on Southwest, it is possible to rack up frequent flier miles.
The Plus card has the lowest annual cost of the consumer Southwest credit cards at $69. However, despite the inexpensive cost, it still provides excellent value. A Companion Pass and 30,000 points are included in the Plus Card’s bonus offer, which is a great deal. Your chances of winning even more free flights increase dramatically when you use this card.
In contrast, there are international transaction costs associated with using the Rapid Rewards Plus Card. Use a separate credit card if you’re traveling outside of the US to avoid paying foreign transaction fees!
Rapid Rewards Plus Card Advantages and Privileges from Southwest Airlines
With the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card, you get a lot of perks, but the precise advantages you get are based on your card level. In reviewing your application, Visa will take into account a number of different aspects like your credit score, income, and any existing credit accounts you may have. Visa Signature or Visa Platinum cardholders are those who have been granted a card by the corporation. A credit limit of at least $2,000 is required for Platinum accounts.
Those with a strong credit history are more likely to be offered a Signature account, which comes with higher credit limits and a wide range of additional features. Signature accounts are eligible for these perks:
- Spend $5,000 in the first three months to earn the Companion Pass and an additional 30,000 extra points.
- It’s easy to rack up points. Plus, you’ll get 1X points for every dollar you spend on anything else. This includes flights from Southwest Airlines; local transportation; commuter services; internet; cable television; phone; and other types of streaming services.
- Points for anniversaries. On the anniversary of your card membership, you will earn 3,000 points. There is a $45 limit on this year’s anniversary bonus.
- Accident Damage Waiver for Rental Cars. Secondary insurance against theft and accident damage is available if you refuse the automobile rental company’s insurance and use your credit card for your reservation.
- You may obtain up to $100 per day in compensation for basics like toiletries and clothing if your flight is delayed by six hours or more thanks to baggage delay insurance.
- To obtain 24-hour roadside help, dial 1-800-847-2869, and you’ll be connected to a dispatcher. Service costs are in effect.
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance of up to $500,000 is included in the cost of your trip when you pay with your card.
- In the event of a medical or legal emergency while traveling, the Benefit Administrator can assist you in obtaining the support you need.
- Purchase protection and extended warranty coverage are also included with the card.
- On award flights, there are no seat limitations or change fees with this credit card. If you need to postpone your trip, you won’t have to pay a cost.
The downsides of the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card
Although this card has some advantages, it also has its disadvantages, such as:
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card Annual Fee. $69.00. Another card may be a better fit for your wallet if you prefer not to pay an annual fee.
- This card has a 3% international transaction charge on all transactions. You may want to look elsewhere if you routinely travel outside of the United States.
- For those who travel Southwest frequently, the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card may be a better option. Despite the $149 annual cost, the card provides no international transaction fees, a $75 yearly Southwest credit, and tier qualifying points that might help you earn Southwest A-List status.
Maximizing your redemptions
In order to maximize the value of your points, you must choose how to redeem them. This card comes with a wide variety of reward possibilities, such as gift cards and items as well as free hotel stays and flights. Your points might be worth one cent to 1.5 cents apiece depending on the option you select.
The quickest and most straightforward way to use your points is to book tickets with Southwest Airlines. You’ll also receive the most bang for your buck by doing so. The best part is that there are no travel limitations or blackout periods. Your points can be used if there is an open seat on a flight. And with Southwest’s Companion Pass, you may fly with a companion for free—you just pay the taxes and fees.
Of the redemption options, gift cards and items have the lowest point values, with each point being worth one penny. There is an annual charge of $69 for the Rapid Rewards Plus Card. Traveling at the 2X points per $1 spent level or the 1 point per $1 spent level would be required to offset that expenditure.