Morgan Stanley’s Platinum Card from American Express has the same privileges as the ordinary Platinum Card, but it also contains some additional benefits. Travelers acquainted with the American Express Platinum Card are likely to be aware of the Morgan Stanley version of the card, but you may not have known. However, there are a few important variations between the ordinary Platinum Card from American Express and those offered exclusively to Morgan Stanley members.
It’s important to consider if getting this travel rewards credit card is worth it only for the convenience of linking it to your brokerage account. Anyone who isn’t already a customer of Morgan Stanley should create an investing account in order to get this card. Using this Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card review might help you decide if you should get this card or not.
Only Morgan Stanley employees should be eligible for the Amex Platinum Card
When it comes to frequent fliers, the Amex Platinum Card Exclusively for Morgan Stanley is an excellent option. To be more precise, premium travelers will find a slew of perks on this card. Cardholders can benefit from an airline credit, a TSA PreCheck or Global Entry charge credit, airport lounge access, and hotel status upgrades. Enrollment is required for some benefits.
You should only apply for this card if you intend to use the majority of the offered bonuses and privileges each year, as the annual cost is $695. A solution exists that effectively eliminates the annual cost.
Morgan Stanley Platinum CashPlus customers who also have the Amex Platinum Card Exclusively for Morgan Stanley can receive an annual $550 bonus. In other words, you don’t pay anything to carry this card around with you.
If you don’t plan on traveling often, you’re generally better off with a cash-back credit card that offers a higher rate of return. In addition, this card is only available to Morgan Stanley clients. In order to be eligible for this card, you must have a Morgan Stanley brokerage account or choose another travel rewards credit card.
American Express’s Platinum Card Benefits and bonuses that are only available to Morgan Stanley clients
- Good-natured gift. After making eligible purchases totaling $6,000 in the first six months after the date of account setup, you will get 100,000 Membership Rewards points.
- Invest the money you earn. Reward points may be used in Morgan Stanley brokerage accounts since a Morgan Stanley account user has a special Morgan Stanley rewards card. When redeeming points this manner, each one is worth just one cent.
- Lounge admission is included in the price. It is possible to use the Centurion Lounge, Priority Pass Select and Delta Sky Club in addition to the Airspace and American Express International Lounges with your Platinum Card.
- Visa Signature credit. The card comes with a reimbursement credit for either the Global Entry (once every four years) or TSA Precheck (once every four years) cost (once every 4.5 years).
- The Saks Fifth Avenue. Purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue, whether in-store or online, qualify for up to $100 in statement credits every calendar year when using the Platinum Card. It’s $50 for half of the year and another $50 for half of the year, totaling $100.
- As an added bonus, cardholders receive. Uber VIP membership and up to $200 in yearly Uber credits, which they may apply toward discounted trips or UberEats orders.
- Hilton Honors Gold and Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status are included in the Platinum Card’s benefits. As a member of both hotels’ loyalty programs, you’ll have access to all of the benefits that come with it.
- Use the card’s $200 annual airline fee credit to save money for frequent fliers. In addition to American Carriers, Delta, Southwest, United, and a slew of other airlines, the credit may be used to offset incidental expenses you may have incurred.
Select perks necessitate enrollment.
Limits of this card’s use
- Morgan Stanley’s mandate. One of the key conditions for this credit card is that you have a Morgan Stanley brokerage account. This card will not be issued to you if you do not already have a brokerage account or if you invest through a different business. With that in mind, the Amex Platinum Card for Charles Schwab is another option.
- A one-time payment. In spite of all the benefits, the $695 yearly cost may be too much of an obstacle for some people to overcome. However, if you open a Stanley Morgan Platinum CashPlus account, that cost will be waived. Fees for the CashPlus account may or may not apply if you don’t fulfill the minimum direct deposit and balance criteria.
- Legally mandated costs. Additional cards (up to three) will cost you $175 a year if you have more than one authorized user, but the first one is free
Membership Rewards earned and redeemed with American Express
Potential earnings in year one
Here’s how the Amex Platinum Card Exclusively for Morgan Stanley may help you rack up Membership Rewards points. We used a point valuation of one cent of each MR point to obtain these values.
Best ways to earn
Amex Membership Rewards Points are earned when you use your Morgan Stanley Platinum Card to make purchases. Because of its wide range of redemption options, the Membership Rewards program is a favorite among frequent fliers, and the Platinum Card makes collecting points very simple.
To get the most out of this American Express card’s points earning potential, you must first qualify for the introductory offer. After that, you’ll have a slew of opportunities to rack up extra points. The Amex Platinum Card rewards travel expenditures in particular, but you’ll also earn points for other purchases with this card, as long as you use it.
Maximizing your redemptions
Using your points to plan travel is the greatest way to get the most out of the Amex Platinum Card. When using Amex Travel to purchase a flight, each point is worth exactly one cent. Even if you don’t have American Express, you can still use it to plan trips. You can also transfer your points to the American Express travel partner reward programs that are participating. Amex’s travel partners may be able to increase the value of your points in certain situations.
Membership Rewards points may be used for ticket upgrades on more than 20 participating airlines, allowing you to travel in more comfort. All or part of the upgrade cost can be paid for using Amex points. Travel isn’t the only option when it comes to redeeming points. Membership Rewards points can also be exchanged for:
- Online shopping
- Statement credits
- Gift cards
- Charity donations
If you are a customer of Morgan Stanley, you may use your points to make deposits into your brokerage account, starting with a minimum of 1,000 points. Using points to fund a brokerage account has a value of just one cent per point. Consult with a tax specialist before making this decision, as there may be tax consequences.
Membership Rewards is one of the few reward systems that provide you the freedom to use your points any way you see fit, and the Platinum Card lets you do just that.
American Express transfer partners
It’s one of the biggest perks of the Membership Rewards program that you may transfer points to Amex travel partners. 18 travel transfer partners now participate in the program
- Alitalia MilleMiglia (1:1 transfer)
- Asia Miles (1:1 transfer)
- British Airways Executive Club (1:1 transfer)
- Delta SkyMiles (1000:1000 transfer)
- Emirates Skywards (1:1 transfer)
- Etihad Guest (1:1 transfer)
- Finnair Plus (1:1 transfer)
- Flying Blue (1:1 transfer)
- Iberia Plus (1:1 transfer)
- Qantas Frequent Flyer (1:1 transfer)
- SAS EuroBonus (1:1 transfer)
- Singapore KrisFlyer (3:2 transfer)
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (1:1 transfer)
- Hilton Honors (1:2 transfer)
- Marriott Bonvoy (2:3 transfer)
- RadissonRewards (1:3 transfer)
- The Eurostar Club (1,500:100 transfer)
- The nectar of the gods (1:1 transfer)
You should transfer your points a few days before you plan on redeeming them, as transfers might take a few days. Before making any decisions about how to put your points to use, be sure to check with each of your potential transfer partners to see what their minimum transfer criteria are.