Look no further if you want a credit card that will reward you for your purchases and help you build credit. We have you covered. If you have poor credit or no credit history, secured credit cards might help you develop your credit. Some individuals may not consider secured cards to be true credit cards, and there are typically no practical benefits to holding one other from the credit-building element.
Credit cardholders may repair their credit while still receiving cashback benefits thanks to the Discover it Secured card. Even better, Discover will double any cashback points you earn in the first year of your account. Discover’s secured card stands apart from the competition because of these added benefits.
While secured credit cards often have high-interest rates, they can also be used to build excellent credit card practices that you can utilize long after re-establishing your credit. Is a secured credit card a good idea? Is the Discover it Secured card unique in this regard?
For whom is the Discover it Secured Credit Card best suited?
People with damaged credit and those with no credit history should use the Discover it Secured credit card. Those with a poor credit history have a hard time getting an unsecured credit card. The application procedure for a secured credit card often does not include a credit check. Instead, a security deposit is used to protect the account. The Discover it Secured card requires a deposit of at least $200.
If you’re looking for a secured credit card that can be changed into an unsecured card, Discover it Secured is the card for you. Discover automatically examines your account every eight months in search of evidence of responsible usage of your credit card. You’ll get your security deposit back if you’ve done your bit and your card can be changed to an unsecured one.
Benefits and advantages of Discover it Secured credit card
- Welcoming Gift of Generosity. This card offers a significant welcome bonus: During your first year as a Discover cardholder, Discover will double all of your cashback earned. With no cap on the amount of cashback you may receive, this is an excellent incentive.
- There aren’t many secured credit cards that provide a rewards program. If you use your Discover it Secured card at restaurants and petrol stations, you’ll get 2% cashback (up to $1,000 every quarter). It also gives you 1% cashback on every transaction you make. Customers may earn money while building credit.
- A free credit report is available upon request. Monthly statements and an online account via the Discover mobile app provide free access to your FICO credit score. Keeping tabs on the growth of your FICO score is helpful while trying to repair or establish credit.
- If you have a secured credit card, you’re undoubtedly learning how to manage your money in a responsible way. So you may end up being a few days late on your payment. You won’t be charged a late fee if you use Discover it Secured for your first late payment.
- The security deposit is fully refundable if you pay off your account in full and terminate your account. If Discover deems that you are ready to transition to a standard Discover credit card during their automatic assessments of your card usage, you may also be entitled to a refund.
- There is no recurring charge for this service. No yearly charge means you may start boosting your credit right now. The Discover it Secured credit card has no annual fee.
Additional safeguards: If your Social Security number is found on the dark web or if a new account is posted to your credit record, you can activate identity theft alerts.
This card has certain drawbacks.
- A deposit is required. To start an account with this secured card, you’ll need to put down a deposit of at least $100. A $200 refundable deposit is required as a down payment.
- A limited credit line. Your security deposit will be deducted from the available credit. However, your income and creditworthiness will play a role in determining your maximum credit limit, which is $2,500.
- Introductory APR. However, unlike other credit cards, this card does not have a 0% initial APR on balance transfers.
Best ways to earn
As a reward credit card, Discover it Secured is unique among secured credit cards in that it gives you cash back for your purchases. Because the bonus categories correspond to typical consumer spending patterns, you’ll be rewarded for purchases you’re currently making, allowing you to maintain healthy financial habits while receiving incentives.
Maximizing your redemptions
With Discover, cashback incentives may be redeemed quickly and easily. Redeem at any moment for whatever amount you choose to. Some other credit card companies, for example, require that you have at least $25 in rewards before you may redeem. There are two options for redeeming your rewards: a statement credit or a direct bank transfer. Donations in the form of gift cards and charitable contributions are also available. Shop on Amazon or pay with PayPal and utilize your Discover cashback credits to save money.