When compared to its rivals, American Family Insurance consistently earns high marks for its timely payment of claims. American Family offers several savings to compensate for the absence of optional coverage add-ons and endorsements. American Family auto insurance may be a fantastic option if you’re looking for a dependable policy with collision and comprehensive coverage. For additional information heres our American Family Car Insurance Review.
Pros and Cons of American Family
- American Family Insurance offers discounts on automobile insurance.
- Additional insurance policies are available via the company and can be packaged together to save money.
- The American Family insurance app for mobile devices has various important functions, including claim status monitoring, payment planning, and roadside assistance.
- Because American Family does not offer further policy extensions or endorsements for its vehicle policies, consumers with more complex insurance needs should go elsewhere.
- In terms of satisfaction with American Family vehicle insurance, homeowners gave it a good rating, while renters gave it a bad rating.
About American Family
AmFam was formed in 1927 and is based in Chicago. The company’s initial product offering was limited to car insurance. American Family Insurance Company offers a comprehensive range of insurance products, ranging from property and liability to health and life.
In comparison to its rivals, American Family has a strong track record of rapidly satisfying claims. American Family may not provide as many additional coverage options or endorsements as some of its competitors, but it more than makes up for it in terms of savings. American Family auto insurance may be a fantastic option if you’re looking for a dependable policy with collision and comprehensive coverage.
American Family Ratings
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — According to J.D. American families’ overall claim satisfaction is below average.
- Customer satisfaction (according to J.D. Power) – Exceptional: American Family has the highest overall customer satisfaction rating among midsized insurers, according to a J.D. Power poll from 2021.
- Financial strength — This is excellent news for American Family insurance customers: the NAIC expects that policyholder complaints will decrease in 2101, following a year in which customer complaints about American Family insurance products were lower than the industry average.
- NAIC Rating — In 2020, the NAIC anticipates receiving fewer complaints about American Family insurance products than the industry average, which is a positive development.
American Family car insurance coverage options
American Family Insurance in Madison, Wisconsin provides a comprehensive selection of automotive insurance products. Standard coverage includes comprehensive, collision, property and bodily injury liability, and uninsured and underinsured motorists.
The following are some of the additional policy features and benefits included with an American Family vehicle insurance policy. This is frequently available as an add-on coverage option on the majority of automobile insurance policies.
Lease/loan gap coverage
If you have a lease or loan on your vehicle and it is totaled in an accident, your insurance provider will reimburse you for the vehicle’s actual cash value minus depreciation. You won’t have to worry about making additional payments on a car you no longer have access to with American Family’s gap insurance.
Emergency road service 24/7
Emergency road service meets its promise and gives you peace of mind if your automobile develops mechanical or operational difficulties unexpectedly while on the road. American Family provides 24-hour help and will pay the expense of towing in the case of an emergency.
Rental car reimbursement coverage
While your accident-damaged vehicle is being repaired, American Family will cover the cost of a rental car as long as you conform to the company’s rental car coverage restrictions for each day and incident.
American Family car insurance discounts
Whether you’re in need of new vehicle insurance, be sure to inquire about any discounts given by the insurer and determine if you qualify. American Family Insurance Company provides a number of discounts and money-saving programs to help you save money on your monthly insurance premiums.
Discounts based on your insurance policy
- Multi-policy. Combining several insurance plans may result in a reduction in your premiums (like auto and house insurance).
- Multi-car. Increasing the number of vehicles you cover may result in a reduction in rates. It saves time because there are fewer premiums to memorize.
- Early riser. Customers who get estimates from American Family at least seven days before the start of their policy with another insurer may qualify for exceptional savings.
- Steer Towards Savings. Customers who switch from another carrier to American Family receive a discount.
- Loyalty. If you’ve had American Family insurance for a lengthy period of time, you may qualify for loyalty savings.
- Billing. To save money, pay for your membership in full up front and then set up autopay and paperless billing for future installments.
Discounts based on safety
- Low mileage on the odometer. If you drive less than 7,500 miles each year, you may qualify for a discount.
- Vehicle safety devices that operate autonomously. Depending on where you reside, you may be eligible for discounts ranging from 10% to 30% if your vehicle incorporates safety equipment such as factory-installed airbags.
- Driver education that places a premium on safety. Seniors who have taken an American Family-approved defensive driving course and live in a qualified location may save between 5% and 10% on their vehicle insurance in areas where this program is available.
- You did an excellent job driving. Are you able to drive without incident and in a safe manner? The American Family Insurance Company understands this and offers a discounted premium as a consequence.
- KnowYourDrive is a program. In some places, customers who engage in the American Family telematics program receive a 5% reduction on their first year’s payment. Once loaded, the app tracks your driving habits and provides feedback to help you improve your defensive driving skills. Depending on your driving record, you may be eligible for a discount of up to 20% or more on your vehicle insurance.
Discounts for young drivers
- Outstanding performer on the academic front. As a result, American Family offers a student discount to qualified individuals.
- School. American Family Insurance offers discounts to students.
- Volunteering. Individuals under the age of 25 who donate 40 hours per year of their free time to a non-profit organization qualify for a discount on their vehicle insurance.
- Generational. If one of your parents is already an American Family client, you may qualify for a discount.
- Program for Teen Safe Drivers Enrolling in this telemetry program may qualify you for a discount if you have a young driver on your policy. If your teenager drives, it’s likely that his or her vehicle is outfitted with technology that detects unsafe driving habits such as abrupt steering, quick acceleration, and hard braking. It records everything that occurs inside and outside the car once it is engaged and then transmits the footage to a center for evaluation by professional driving instructors. Parents are able to monitor and evaluate their children.
American Family vs. Competitors
Average Monthly Rates
- American Family. $117
- AAA. $161
- Allstate. $170
- GEICO. $94
- Progressive. $104
- Farmers. $131
- Nationwide. $90
- State Farm. $108
How to cancel an American Family policy
Make cancellation arrangements with your American Family insurance agent. If you do not have the agent’s contact information on hand, you can use the AmFam agent locator on the web or your MyAmFam mobile app to locate the agent. Following the expiration of your policy, your agent will ensure that you and the insurer have received all essential documents. Customers may terminate their insurance coverage by contacting their agent or by beginning the cancellation procedure on their behalf by calling 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326), which provides customer service.
Can I cancel my American Family policy online?
Even if you locate an agent using a search engine, you must speak with a professional to terminate your policy.