If you find that a checking account is no longer meeting your needs, you have other options.
There are exemplary institutions across the banking landscape, from the largest to the smallest, from traditional brick-and-mortar branches to mobile banking apps and credit unions of all stripes.
Cease accepting less than you deserve. Get ready for a better way to bank by perusing our up-to-date list of the finest checking accounts in the United States, including some of the top high-interest accounts on the market.
The Top Checking Accounts in the United States
You may get some of the greatest deals on checking accounts for residents of the United States at the following financial institutions.
There are a lot of great bank account promos out there, and many of them are included on our top bank account promotions page or on our list of the best free checking accounts. When it comes to deposit accounts, certain financial institutions provide more options, such as high-yielding online savings and money market accounts.
Deposit and balance minimums, interest, credit card availability, and potential fees are all included for each account type. Unless otherwise specified, all of the banks and credit unions below are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the National Credit Union Administration.
- HSBC Premier Checking
Generous Opportunity for Account Opening Bonuses
HSBC Premier Checking is the premier checking account offered by HSBC. HSBC Premier is a good fit for people who can fulfill the somewhat stringent maintenance fee waiver conditions. Among the several advantages of HSBC Premier Checking are:
- Opportunities for large account-opening bonuses are plentiful.
- The HSBC Premier Checking Account is the bank’s top-tier checking account.
- People who are able to meet the fairly high maintenance charge waiver requirements will benefit from the HSBC Premier.
- Advantages of HSBC Premier Checking include:
There is a plethora of opportunities to receive substantial opening bonuses. HSBC’s Premier Checking Account is one of the best in the business. In order to qualify for the HSBC Premier, you’ll need to fulfill some very stringent standards, the most significant of which is a high minimum annual income.
The perks of HSBC Premier Checking include:
- Chase Total Checking®
You can depend on Chase’s extensive branch and ATM network when you open a Chase Total Checking® account.
With eligible transactions, you may earn a bonus of up to $200, making this account one of the finest in the industry. Simply click one of the links above or below, input your email address in the space provided, and then visit any Chase bank to redeem your voucher and create your new checking account.
Then, within 90 days after coupon enrollment, arrange a direct deposit. In 15 days of business, you will receive a bonus payment of $200. However, the application deadline has been extended till October 19, 2022.
The following lists the states in which Chase operates full-service branches and automated teller machines: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MI, NV, NJ, NY, OH, OK, OR, TX, UT, WA, WV, WI. Online shoppers everywhere (with the exception of those in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico) may take advantage of this deal.
- Minimum Deposit and Balance Requirements: None, however a $12 monthly maintenance charge applies in statement cycles where you don’t fulfill direct deposit or balance requirements (see possible fees below).
- Initial Deposit Bonus: Open a new Chase Total Checking account before October 19, 2022, and set up direct deposit within 90 days of coupon enrollment, and you’ll receive a $100 bonus. If these requirements are met, you will get a $200 incentive within 15 business days.
- Rewards and Motivation: More than 16,000 ATMs and 4,700 branch locations are available.
- Possible Fees: Avoid the $12 monthly maintenance fee by meeting one of the following requirements in a statement period: have $500 or more in direct deposits; OR maintain a daily balance of $1,500 or more in your checking account; OR maintain an average beginning day balance of $5,000 or more in this account and linked qualifying Chase checking, savings, and other eligible balances; OR pay at least $25 or more in qualifying checking-related fees.
Automate Your Financial Management
Douugh was created to provide you a financial edge. The app’s automatic Salary Sweeper function is always at work to divide your paycheck so that money for immediate expenses goes into the Bills Jar and money you don’t need for a while goes into the Savings Jar.
In doing so, Douugh ensures that you continue making progress toward your financial goals and that you never experience the stress of an unexpected overdraft or overdue payment. Your Mastercard debit card balance will never be at risk.
- Minimum Deposit and Account Balance There is no minimum starting deposit or continuing balance requirement.
- There is no yield.
- Incentives and rewards: Send money to pals using the Cash App, Venmo, or PayPal to send money to friends, and use Apple Pay to make purchases on the move.
- Fees: A comprehensive list of possible fees may be found in the terms.
- Huntington Bank Asterisk-Free Checking®
Activate your account and get $150 if you act quickly!
Institution: Huntington Bank With no monthly maintenance fees and no minimum deposit or balance limitations, Asterisk-Free Checking® is a free checking account option.
It’s a great option for those looking for their first checking account because it comes with all the features seasoned Huntington Bank customers have come to expect, such as online bill pay, 24-Hour Grace® (extra time to deposit funds to avoid an overdraft fee), and The Hub, a financial goal tracking tool.
- Huntington Bank’s Asterisk-Free Checking® does not have a minimum initial deposit or minimum balance requirement.
- You may get a $150 bonus when you start a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking® account during the promotion period, deposit $1,000 into the account within 60 days, and keep the account open for at least 90 days. After fulfilling these requirements, you will be able to access your bonus funds in your new account within 14 days.
- Premier Savings account fees and minimum balance requirements are both waived for clients who already maintain a checking account with Huntington Bank. With less than a $300 average daily balance, the Premier Savings account incurs a monthly charge of $4.
- Huntington Bank Huntington Perks CheckingSM
For a Limited Time, Get $200 When You Open An Account And Do These Things
Institution: Huntington Bank Gains in Huntington There is no opening deposit required for CheckingSM, and interest is earned on balances above $1.
Relationship rewards are calculated from the combined balance of all joint and individual Huntington Perks Checking accounts with associated consumer accounts.
- You may open this account with no minimum deposit and no minimum balance. Keep your total relationship balance at least $5,000 to avoid the $5 monthly maintenance cost.
- Opening Account Bonus: You can earn $200 when you create a Huntington Perks CheckingSM account during the promotion period, make cumulative new money deposits of at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening, and keep the account open for at least 90 days. When you meet the requirements, the bonus will be sent into your new account within 14 days.
- Current yield information can be found in the aforementioned disclaimers.
- As a perk and incentive, Huntington Bank will cover the cost of up to five cash withdrawals from any ATM, regardless of who owns the ATM, per statement cycle.
- In addition, earn 1.05% cash back on all transactions made with your connected Voice Credit Card with Rewards.
- Huntington Platinum Perks CheckingSM by Huntington Bank
Offer Valid for a Limited Time Only: $300 Account Opening Bonus with Eligible Transactions
Advantages of Being a Huntington Bank Platinum Member Free checks, unlimited ATM charge refunds at non-Huntington ATMs, and unique relationship discount opportunities—these are just some of the perks of CheckingSM, a checking account offered by Huntington Bank to its mortgage, home equity, and investment clients who meet certain criteria.
- Maintain a minimum of $25,000 in total relationship balances each month to avoid the $25 monthly maintenance fee.
- If you create a new Huntington Platinum Perks CheckingSM account during the promotion period and deposit at least $15,000 in fresh money into your account within 60 days of account opening and maintain your account for at least 90 days, we’ll give you $300. After fulfilling these requirements, you will be able to access your bonus funds in your new account within 14 days.
- For up-to-date yield information, please refer to the relevant disclosures.
- Payments and Incentives: Huntington’s Platinum Perks Checking has several fantastic perks for couples. The HELOC relationship discount provides a rate reduction of 0.15% to 0.50% on an eligible home equity line of credit, in addition to waiving the yearly fee. Portfolio loans or price discounts on saleable loans can be reduced by up to 0.375% thanks to the mortgage connection discount. Plus, with Huntington Financial Advisors®, you may make 100 fee-free online equities and/or ETF transactions each year ($6.95 commission thereafter) as part of the investing relationship discount.
Up to 7% Cash Back on eGift Card Purchases Made Through the App1; 1.00% APY2 paid quarterly on savings up to $5,000.
With GO2bank’s online bank account, savers may earn a competitive rate of return (1.00% APY2 on deposits up to $5,000) without sacrificing convenience. In addition, the account can earn up to 7% cash back on qualifying app purchases of electronic gift cards.
Set up an approved direct deposit method to avoid the $5 monthly cost. In addition, you’ll get the chance to:
- ASAP Direct DepositTM 3 expedites deposits by up to two days.
- Cash can be deposited at eligible retail locations, subject to fees and deposit restrictions.
- With opt-in and qualified direct deposit, get up to $200 in overdraft protection
When GO2bank decides to cover an overdraft, they do it on their own terms. There are several fine print terms that must be followed.
- Sufficient Funds and Minimum Balance There is no initial deposit or minimum amount required to start an account with GO2bank.
- Return: 1.00% Annual Percentage Yield2 on all balances up to $5,000.
- Benefits and Incentives: ASAP Direct DepositTM 3 allows you to get your paycheck up to two days early, and the app’s eGift Card purchases provide cash back of up to 7% (3% for Amazon Gift Cards).
- Potential Costs: If you would like to avoid paying the $5 monthly charge, you can do so by setting up qualifying direct deposit. Every overdraft transaction that isn’t paid back within 24 hours of the initial overdraft transaction being authorized may incur a $15 charge. GO2bank.com has a breakdown of some additional common banking charges.
- Citi Elevate Checking
Incentives as high as 1.00% APY may be yours, depending on account balance Tier
With the Citi Elevate Checking account, you may earn interest on your balances and have your ATM costs repaid or waived indefinitely.
No opening deposit is required, and there are no maintenance fees or other charges as long as your balance remains at or above the required minimum each month. Features like mobile check deposits, bill pay, instant P2P payments, and a Spending Insights feature make this a more attractive option.
- Sufficient Funds and Minimum Balance There is no minimum initial deposit required, however your average monthly balance must be $5,000 or more to avoid the $15 maintenance cost.
- No free money to open an account.
- Earn a maximum APY of 1.00%, tiered with your account balance.
- Incentives & Rewards: Get reimbursed for any ATM fee, wherever in the world.
- Additional information on the potential costs associated with this account may be found in the relevant account disclosures.
- Varo Bank Account
No Monthly Account Fees or Minimums
If you’re looking for a simple online checking account with no monthly fees and no minimum deposit or balance restrictions, go no further than the Varo Bank Account. Principal advantages include:
- If your payer files with the Federal Reserve to begin the payment procedure, you may be eligible for early direct deposit.
- Withdrawals are free at over 55,000 Allpoint ATMs.
- You may be eligible for a paycheck cash advance of up to $100* with a single easy charge and no APR.
- Perks offers up to 15% cashback.
- Apply for a secured credit card (Varo Believe) to help establish your credit.
- TD Bank Beyond Checking
Gain Access to a $300 Account Opening Bonus
If you meet TD Bank’s monthly maintenance fee waiver levels, you may qualify for TD Bank Beyond Checking, a robust checking solution. One of the following actions is required:
- Having monthly direct installments of at least $5,000
- A minimum daily balance of $2,500 must be maintained.
- Maintaining a minimum total balance of $25,000 across all qualifying TD accounts
TD will credit your account with $300 if you open one and receive $2,500 or more in direct deposits within 60 days of account opening.
- There are no minimum opening deposits or balances required, but accounts with less than $2,500 in daily balances will be charged a $25 monthly maintenance fee.
- If you open a new account online and deposit at least $2,500 into it within 60 days, we’ll give you $300. Only citizens of the United States are eligible for this promotion.
- Dividend: There are different payout percentages based on account balance.
- Payments and Incentives: Any TD Bank-originated home equity lines of credit or unsecured personal loans made to TD Beyond Checking clients might be eligible for a 0.25% rate decrease. TD Bank provides free ATM use to any customer whose daily balance is greater than $2,500.00.
- The $25 monthly maintenance charge is waived if you make at least $5,000 in direct deposits each month, have $2,500 in your account at all times, or have a total balance of $25,000 or more in all of your qualifying TD accounts.
- TD Bank Convenience Checking
Enjoy a Generous $200 Account Opening Bonus!
If you can’t afford to make monthly direct deposits of $5,000 or maintain a $2,500 minimum level in your TD Bank checking account, you may want to consider switching to the TD Bank Convenience Checking account.
To avoid paying the $100 monthly maintenance cost, only $15 must be on deposit. Regardless of account balance, the monthly maintenance fee is never charged to students and young people (those aged 17 to 23).
- Minimum Balance and Deposit. You must maintain a daily minimum balance of $100 to avoid the $15 monthly maintenance charge. The monthly maintenance cost is always waived for students and young adults between the ages of 17 and 23 regardless of account balance.
- Earn a $200 account opening bonus when you earn $500 or more in direct deposits within 60 days.
- Yield: None.
- Rewards and Motivation: Customers with TD Convenience Checking are eligible for the same rate discounts as those with TD Beyond Checking. Access to TD ATMs is free.
- Check TD Bank’s account guide for a comprehensive, up-to-date listing of potential account fees.
- PNC Virtual Wallet®
With qualifying actions, you can get an account opening bonus of up to $400.
Using PNC Virtual Wallet®, you can consolidate your day-to-day spending checking account (Spend), your emergency fund (Reserve), and your long-term investment savings account all into one convenient location (Growth). New account holders have a limited time window to get a $300 bonus upon meeting certain requirements.
- Opening an online Spend account (checking) requires no more than zero dollars in initial funds. With that said, the bare minimum to establish an account is $25.
- With a new Virtual Wallet account, you can get a $50 incentive after making one or more direct deposits to the Spend account of $500 or more. Get a $200 incentive when you create a new Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend and make one or more direct deposits of $2,000 or more to the Spend account.
- Alternatively, you can get a $400 incentive by opening a new Virtual Wallet with Performance Select and making a direct deposit(s) of $5,000 or more. If you want to be eligible, you need to make sure your account is open before February 28th, 2022.
- There are other conditions and constraints that must be met.
- The most up-to-date yields on Reserve and Growth balances may be found in the terms.
- Benefits and Incentives: Receive refunds of up to $10 per month for ATM fees charged by institutions other than PNC, and up to $4 every statement cycle.
- SoFi Checking and Savings Account
There are almost no fees, and you may get paid up to two days early with direct deposit.
Both the SoFi Checking and SoFi Savings accounts are essentially fee-free. Its account-opening incentive is deserving of its reputation as a top deal for brand-new banking options.
Don’t forget to check out SoFi’s wide variety of credit products, including student loan refinancing, personal loans, house loans, and more, if you have decent credit and are looking for an affordable loan.
- There are no minimum balance or deposit requirements.
- When you create an eligible account and meet other requirements, you can receive a bonus of up to $100.
- You may get 1.80% annual percentage yield (APY) on your first $50,000 in holdings.
- Members of SoFi are eligible for special rates on SoFi loans, free P2P transfers, free financial planning, and exclusive offers from SoFi’s partners, among other perks. A successful referral can earn you up to $310 through SoFi’s referral program.
- Moreover, overdraft protection is provided at no additional cost.
- Potential Costs: Almost nothing at all. For further information, review the account disclosures provided by SoFi.
- Wealthfront Cash Account
Payouts of up to 2.00% APY are possible. When combined with Wealthfront’s already stellar portfolio management offerings, the Cash Account is a game-changer.
This account is perfect for your day-to-day financial needs because it has a low minimum opening deposit, a high yield on all balances, no account fees, and a plethora of value-added features, such as Self-Driving MoneyTM, one of the most potent money management automation tools available to U.S. consumers.
- Sufficient Funds and Minimum Balance The initial deposit requirement is a solitary dollar. Unlike other similar services, we don’t charge a monthly fee for upkeep.
At now, all balances earn an annual percentage rate of 2.00%.
- Benefits and Incentives: Direct deposit will allow you to get your paycheck up to two days early, and mobile check deposit will make it easy to deposit paper checks. In addition, you may put your money to work in the market in a matter of minutes by transferring it from your Cash Account to a Wealthfront Investment Account. Benefit from free in-network ATM withdrawals and FDIC protection on accounts up to $1 million (increased from the typical $250,000). Apps like Cash App, Venmo, PayPal, and others allow you to send money to your pals electronically.
- Potential Costs: Wealthfront is well-known for its cheap cost to customers. Most notably, no overdraft or other account fees will be incurred. For a full breakdown of costs, please see the fine print.
Free Checking Account With Automatic Tax Deductions and Financial Insights
The Lili Account is a free checking account designed specifically for freelancers and part-time professionals.
Extras include tax management simplification tools, early payday for direct deposit account holders (up to two days early), real-time activity alerts, instant expense categorization, automatic savings in a “emergency bucket” (as little as $1 per day), cash deposit at 90,000 locations in the U.S., and more.
Sole proprietors might save money by combining their personal and business finances in a single checking account. That’s quite the find in the banking industry, which is rife with mediocrity.
- Minimum Deposit and Balance Restrictions: Lili doesn’t impose minimum balance or deposit requirements and charges no account fees.
- There is no account opening bonus.
- Lili does not pay interest on checking account balances.
- The referral program at Lili’s business rewards $25 for each successful referral. In addition, Lili makes it simple to set aside funds for tax payments, offers helpful expense management and categorization tools (such as quarterly expense reports), guarantees an early payday for account holders with direct deposit (up to two days early), and sends real-time alerts for transactions and other account activities.
- Possible Fees: A detailed list of possible fees may be seen on Lili’s website.
- Aspiration to spend and save
With Aspiration Plus, you may earn up to 5.00% APY.
The Aspiration Spend & Save Account is a cutting-edge method of managing your money with the help of Aspiration. Money deposited into a Spend & Save Account will never be used to subsidize the construction of new oil refineries or the drilling for new oil fields.
When deposited into an institution that is a member of the FDIC, the deposits are protected up to $2 million per depositor (for more information on FDIC insurance with Aspiration, check the Aspiration FAQ and the FDIC’s website).
- There are no minimum deposit or balance requirements.
- No free money to open an account. Remember to return for up-to-date specials.
- When you upgrade to Aspiration Plus ($7.99 a month or $5.99 a month if paid yearly), your Save account balance can earn up to 5.00% APY.
- Benefits and Incentives: Withdraw money at no cost from any of the 55,000+ ATMs in the Allpoint Network. At participating Conscience Coalition stores, you can get 5% cash back (or 10% if you have Aspiration Plus). If you upgrade to Aspiration Plus, your petrol expenditures will be mitigated against your carbon footprint.
- Aspiration’s basic plan gives you the freedom to set any account maintenance charge, even $0, that you see fit. For a full breakdown of potential costs, please see the Aspiration website.
- Chime Deposit Account
Receive payment up to two days early.
Customers who meet Chime’s eligibility requirements can elect to have their direct deposits made up to two business days early, moving their regular paycheck from Friday to Wednesday.
You may avoid Chime’s $2.50 charge for cash withdrawals made in person by using one of the bank’s 38,000 fee-free automated teller machines (ATMs).
Don’t forget about Chime’s automatic savings feature, which puts your debit card’s spare change into a savings account earning 1.00% APY* on all balances greater than $0.01.
- Minimum Deposit and Balance Requirements: There are no minimum initial deposit or daily balance requirements.
- There is no account opening bonus.
- Yield: None; however, Chime’s high-return savings account may earn a yield on any balances greater than $0.01 with no minimum deposit or balance limitations.
- Rewards & Incentives: Chime imposes almost no costs. Under normal conditions, you will not be charged a fee to use your account.
- Withdrawing cash over the counter may incur fees.
- M1 Spend
M1 Plus offers up to 1.30% APY and 1% Cash Back.
M1 Finance, a digital banking, investing, and lending platform, offers its customers a free cash management account called M1 Spend.
It’s a good alternative to a standard checking account if you don’t require a ton of extra features, and the debit card can be used at millions of stores across the world with no monthly fees.
There are no ongoing costs associated with using M1 Spend, but for an annual charge of $125, you may switch to M1 Plus and receive 1.30% APY on all M1 Spend balances, 1% cash back on debit card transactions, and reimbursements of up to $4 per month in ATM fees.
- Sufficient Funds and Minimum Balance Both the initial deposit and the required minimum amount for each day are waived.
- Transfer your old investment account to your new M1 Finance (M1 Invest) account and receive a bonus of up to $3,500 just for opening an account! This is subject to the accompanying conditions.
- Returns Earn 1.30% APY on all accounts and 1% cash back on all debit card transactions when you upgrade to M1 Plus.
- M1 Plus members receive four monthly ATM fee refunds, three more than regular M1 members.
- The ATM owner may impose their own fees in addition to any costs charged by the network operator.
- Stash Online Banking
You Can Get Stock Rebates on Some Purchases
Stash, the industry-leading low-cost all-in-one financial platform for hands-off investors, now offers mobile-friendly online banking services in the form of a checking account1 optimized for the Stash platform.
Customers who would want to bank and invest all in one place may choose to consider Stash Online Banking due to its low fees, lack of minimum deposit or balance requirements, and absence of out-of-network ATM fees.
On top of that, using your debit card to make purchases at stores like Walmart and Amazon will earn you Stock-Back Rewards®.
- There is no minimum beginning deposit and no minimum daily balance requirement, but you must create a Stash Invest account in order to utilize your Stash Online Banking account. Account Opening Bonus: None at this time; however, check back for the most recent promotions.
- You will receive Stock-Back® points on any debit card purchases that qualify.
- Rewards and Motivation: Earn Stock-Back® points on all debit card purchases that qualify. Earn 0.125% Stock-Back rewards on all transactions, and up to 5% Stock-Back rewards on purchases made with specific retailers providing Stock-Back incentives. In addition, you’ll be paid up to two days early and have access to tens of thousands of fee-free ATMs.
- Possible Fees: Fees associated with the usage of third-party ATMs
- Betterment Checking Account
With Betterment Cash Reserve, you may earn 2.00% APY (Variable).
Betterment Checking is a mobile-first banking experience backed by Betterment, a major developer and pioneer in the robo-advisor and digital investing field, with no account minimums and nearly no fees.
Betterment Cash Back Rewards gives account holders access to a potentially lucrative rewards program and limitless automatic reimbursements for ATM fees at any Visa-accepting machine in the globe.
Betterment’s Two Way Sweep tool allows you to automate the movement of funds between your Betterment Checking account and an interest-bearing Betterment Cash Reserve cash management account.
- Sufficient Funds and Minimum Balance There is no initial deposit required, and no minimum amount must be maintained at any time.
- No free money to open an account.
- Return: 0%; however, all balances in the Betterment Cash Reserve cash management account (with a $10 minimum deposit) receive 2.00% APY (variable).
- Benefits and Incentives: Betterment Cash Back Rewards allows you to earn cash back from purchases made at participating stores. In addition, Visa’s 1% foreign transaction charge on all overseas transactions and purchases is automatically reimbursed, and you may use your card at any of the roughly 3 million Visa-accepting ATMs globally with no limits.
- Costs: For a full breakdown of any costs that may apply, please see Betterment’s website.
It’s not against the law to have more than one checking account with a financial institution. If you can’t make up your mind, divide your liquid assets across many of the alternatives below that appeal to you the most.
Keep track of your finances by using a Tiller or Personal Capital, two excellent budgeting software that don’t cost a fortune, or by selecting an online bank that already has such a feature (Chime, for example).